Awesome Books By Women to Add to Your TBR

It's no secret that I am quite the bookworm and one of the reasons why I love reading so much is because I get to discover more inspiring people and learn about their life experiences that may be different to my own.

International Women's Day wasn't that long ago and it reminded me that as great and powerful as the campaign is, it's something that we should be pushing for all the time not just for one day of the year. In the spirit of this revelation, I want to share seven books that I believe embody the spirit of celebrating women's achievements whilst acknowledging the biases we are still having to face today.

Plus who doesn't love getting some book recommendations?

I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

Even if you're not aware of this book in particular; Malala needs no introduction. In this book she talks about her love for education, her views on the Islam religion, her family life and of course her journey to recovery after being shot by the Taliban. What I loved most about this is how honest she is about being a Muslim woman and the ways she wants to live as one. I found the book very educational and it left me feeling appreciative of the things in my life that I may take for granted that others have to fight for every day.

Asking For It by Louise O'Neill

I'm not going to lie to you, this book can be a difficult read especially with it being about an 18 year old girl who was sexually assaulted at a party but it's still an important story that I think everyone should read! It's gripping, emotional and powerful in the way that Louise shines a light at how wrongly society deals with some sexual assaults cases. I hope this book becomes part of essential reading at school someday to teach the next generation about sex and consent!

Nasty Women by 404 Ink

This is a relatively new book that's already gained itself a lot of hype - for good reasons of course. It's a powerful, intersectional collection of essays and poems about what it is to be a woman in a chaos of a world we currently live in! If you're wanting a read that will make you feel even more proud to be a woman then you're definitely going to want to grab yourself a copy of this!

My Name Is Girl by Nina Cosford

I came across this book over on Tara's blog a while back so once I read her review I knew I had to grab a copy myself. There are two major things that I loved about this book: the illustrations are great and it has a good mix of humour and brutal honesty about what goes on in a girl's mind! From modern day struggles to embracing our bodies and minds, it's a quick and amusing read that a lot of girls and women will be able to relate to.

We Should All be Feminists By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Some do say that great things come in small packages and this is certainly one of those things! This essay is based on Adichie's 2013 TEDx Talk on why we should all be feminists and how both men and women need to do better! It's the perfect first book for anyone wanting to learn more about feminism and for those wanting to remind themselves why they become a feminist in the first place!

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

In this sinister dystopian world that Margaret created women no longer have any rights, the power of society goes back to men and what's worse is it set in a realistic future that could be made possible. It will scare and frustrate you but it will also give you a sense of hope and make you think about the freedoms we have in society and how easy it could be taken away from us! I would definitely recommend giving this a go, especially those who are a fan of Louise O'Neill's Only Ever Yours.

Honey and Milk by Rupi Kaur

If you're looking for some beautiful poetry to enjoy then I highly advise you to pick up this up ASAP! It's honestly one of the most empowering and moving pieces of art I've ever read. Rupi will take you on a journey of hurting, loving, breaking and healing that you never knew you needed while showing you that great things can come out of unpleasant moments even if it doesn't seem like it at the time. Trust me and get the book!

Which feminist reads do you believe everyone needs in their life?

5 comments

  1. I need to pick these books up ASAP! I really want to read more on feminism to help with my sociology course I'm studying at the moment. Thanks for the recommendations xx

    http://www.abeautifulchaos.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad you found the recommendations helpful! Let me know which ones you decide to get :)

      Delete
  2. I am going to have to add these to my reading list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope you like them just as much as I do :)

      Delete
  3. We should all be feminists was amazing! What are your thoughts on Caitlin Moran`s books? Personally I think they are a fresh, fun and modern take on feminism.

    http://www.carmensreadingcorner.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© Ali Caitrin

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig