Seven Tips for Reaching Your Reading Goals

tips for reading goals

The new year means that it's time to set a new reading goal! Exciting right? It took me while to decide how many books I wanted to aim to read for this year because I did so good last year but I knew I will be a lot busier so I had to weight it up. Eventually I decided to stay with 25 books which I think is a pretty good target; at least two books a month is achievable for me! Well I learned a lot from my 2015 reading challenge and I thought I could share some tips with you on how you can make sure you smash that goal by the end of the year - we can do it guys!

Set a realistic but exciting goal

You don't want to set yourself a goal that's too easy and you know you'll definitely achieve with almost no effort. Why you may ask? Motivation! Trust me it's so much better to challenge yourself because you'll feel like you've made a huge achievement when you get to the end. It's so worth it! If you're stuck on deciding how many then ask some family or friends for advice as I'm sure they'd be willing to help. The internet is good too haha!

Pick books you're actually interesting in

It's good to have a variety of books to read so you don't get bored of reading the same thing. Obviously if you're like me and you're not so keen on romantic books then don't read them but if you've been reading a lot of one genre then you could lose that incentive to keep reading. If you're looking for some inspiration I did a post back in July on ways to discover new books that may give you an few new ideas. You know me, always here to help!

Work around your schedule

You're going to want to have a reading goals that fits your lifestyle so map out what you do from day to day. If you're at full time study or you have a 9-5 job, why not read while you travel to and from there? Lunch is a good time as well with reading being a way of relaxing. Reading a night always helps me get to sleep after being on the computer all day so consider that too! Just squeeze in 30 minutes of reading here and there if you're mega busy and I promise you'll start to see how much you can achieve! Just don't put too much pressure on yourself - reading is meant to be fun!

Try different book types

Audiobooks. E-books. Hardbacks. Paperbacks. You see where I'm going with this. SO MIX IT UP A LITTLE! There's no limit to what type of book you can read and they all mean you can have a book with you at all times! I tend to keep my paperback and hardbacks at home (sometimes) and use my kindle for while I'm on the road but that's just me, you can do whatever suits you! Why not try an audiobook too? I'm even trying them for the first time this year so I'll keep you posted on how that goes!

Keep track of your progress

I'll be using Goodreads again this year so for my reading goal as I find it really helpful for checking how many books I've read so far in the year and the ones I've still got left to read. Also you can add your friends and see what they're up to as well! An alternative could be maybe getting a book journal? I've been thinking of getting one myself as it's always nice to have that paper version plus I love notebooks hehe! You never know that might actually suit you more!

If you don't like the book, drop it

This can be a very difficult thing to do but sometimes it's the best decision you could make! The worst thing you can do is carry on reading a book that you really don't like because it could put you off reading for a long time which will delay your progress. Don't worry even I still struggle to do this. I will try my hardest to finish a book if I've started reading it but sometimes you've got to know when to let it go and move on. It's not always a bad thing because you can just pick up a new book and try again; it's not the end of the world!

Get social to stay motivated

Like I mentioned before Goodreads is great for seeing how your friends and family are doing with their reading goal and you could even get some ideas on what book to read next as they'll most likely give their review on each book they read. I use Twitter, Instagram and sometimes Facebook as a way of posting what I've just read too as it's another to talk to others about what you thought of each one and get the conversation started. You'll be surprised how much people will want to hear what you think!

What are your reading goals for 2016, are you taking part in any challenges? How well did you do last year? I love talking books so you know you can always comment below with your book achievements! I hope you're all enjoying 2016 so far (to be fair it's been less than a week but still the thought is there) and I'll see you soon :)

Ali Caitrin

26 comments

  1. I completed my good reads challenge last year so I've set out to do it again this year but increased it by 10 books! My boyfriend bought me a kindle and I found that really helped me because I can take it everywhere - it's so light ☺️ Goodreads is such a good app to use if you love books! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriend got me my kindle too. It took me a while to get used to it but now I have I would be lost without it haha! Wow that's awesome about your last challenge and good luck with your reading challenge this year :D

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I finished reading any books for fun in 2015 :( I started a few but never finished. I'm hoping to step it up this year though since I really do love reading! I already started with I Am Malala and I'm so glad I did. I was trying to make myself finish a book I started in November, but I just wasn't interested in it. I always feel so bad when I give up on a book, but like you said it turns you off from reading. Great post - you've definitely given me some good tips and inspired me with your 25 book goal!

    - Courtney
    courtneylthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't want to your reading challenge to turn into work, reading is fun so if you feel like it's going like that then take a break! Oh I really want to read I Am Malala I've heard so many good things about it and find her such an inspiration! That's great I'm glad my tips helped you for your book goal this year :)

      Delete
  3. Great tips! You need to update your reading challenge widget in the sidebar to 2016! I'm trying to read at least 12 this year. Since I was pathetic last year, I don't even know if I read any. Even though when I was growing up I just devoured books on the daily!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tegan :) I done the Goodreads sidebar just after I saw your comment, I've been meaning to do it but hadn't got around to it haha! Don't beat yourself if you don't read many books, even reading a couple of books a year is really good so just do what you can!

      Delete

  4. One of my goals for 2016 is to read more as well! I really want to hammer out 3 books a month. To some people that might be so few, but it's really a push for me. I just started an online book club on Goodreads to help inspire me to keep reading. We are planning on reading a book per month. Would you be interested in joining? https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/179886-the-resolutioners-book-club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three books a month is a great goal to aim for don't underestimate yourself! Oo that book club sounds really cool Danyell I'll have to have a look now :)

      Delete
  5. Reading is definitely something I want to do more of this year. I was a right little bookworm when I was little and I have so many books sat on my shelves waiting to be read.
    Thanks for the tips lovely, I'll be sure to fit reading in whenever I can! x

    Kathryn | Chapters of Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Kathryn I bet all those books on your shelve are just waiting for you to read them hehe ;) and you're welcome I'm glad they've helped you in some way!

      Delete
  6. I completely agree with all of these! I used to be really bad at reading every book I started (even if I hated it) but as soon as I dropped that ridiculous quirk of mine, I've hit my goals every year :) xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read more now than I did when I was young and that's saying something because I feel like I still read quite a bit then haha! Congrats on hitting your goals that's determination right there ;)

      Delete
  7. I've never tried goodreads and in total need of some good books to read. Pushing myself to read at least one book per month. Plus I like the idea that you have for mixing up the types of books. Sometimes using the eReader is a lot simpler but other times I miss having the paper between my fingers.

    Great tips. Now only to get my husband to read more. Sigh. Got any tips for those? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try Goodreads honestly because like I said in the post it's great for discovering books you've never seen before! Ooo that's a difficult one haha all I can think of is think of what genre of films he likes you know action adventure, horror, sci-fi etc and suggest some books to him from that because at least then you'll know he could have some interest in reading it ;)

      Delete
  8. I love goodreads as a way to find new books, and to see how everyone else is getting on with their goals can be really motivational! I tend to drift between genres, and then my course normally requires a few classics so I get a good mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Goodreads is good for so many reasons and almost essential for some bookworms like us hehe :) Ah that's nice, I'm similar I read a mix of genres I'm just not that keen on romances one at the moment lol!

      Delete
  9. Sticking to realistic goals is definitely what actually makes me reach them. At one point, I thought there was a certain type of book I was supposed to read and for a while, I pretty much stuck to that. I eventually realized I wasn’t actually enjoying what I was reading and since then, I’ve decided that I would always only read things that actually do interest me. Genres and book types you really enjoy definitely helps you read more. I find that tracking my reading progress on Goodreads also motivates me to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same my goals is what helps motivates me to read more! I find it hard to put down a book I don't like or not interested in too but once you do it's a relief haha!

      Delete
  10. This is a post I really needed! I'm am the sloooooooowest reader + often don't finish books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of help Tara ;) I used to be like that then I realised I was reading the wrong books for me haha and I class myself as a slow reader too so you're not alone!

      Delete
  11. Last year I read 57 out of 60 books. I was gutted :( I'm shooting for 60 again this year, with a concerted effort to get there this time! I think I'm even more motivated this year haha. As for book journals, I use them! And love them! I'd recommend the Moleskine book journal. It's pricier than some, but it's so good. I love mine. I struggle to read when I'm out of the house, but I'm trying to this year! Wish me luck, haha. These tips are great, thanks for sharing them, and good luck with your reading goal! x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to read 25 books in 2015, but I only got through 16 (a). So this year my goal is 20 haha.


    xx Izzy | Qthee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some really great tips here! I love reading but because of uni work I don't have much time to do it, so my goal this year is to read 30 books. Hopefully I'll achieve it!
    Olivia xxx
    www.sunshineinadress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just what I needed to read; I've gone into a book slump atm and I think mixing it up would help me!

    viicreative.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really need to take heed of #6. I sometimes start reading a book that I really don't like and force myself to finish it. I end up not wanting to read again after a while because I disliked it so much! This post has definitely reminded me that I need to find another book that I like

    Rosie at Damzel In This Dress

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carrying a book everywhere is such a good way to help you read more! It's amazing how much reading you get done when you read a few pages every time you arrive somewhere a few minutes early.

    Kelly // Velvet and Vibranium

    ReplyDelete

© Ali Caitrin

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig