Lost in a Book

I've been meaning to do this book tag for a while now but I never got round to doing it, until today obviously! I first came across it over on Aisling's blog all the way back in January and after finding out about some of her book rituals I knew I had to let you in on mine because it's not like I talk about books much on here right? I'm not even sorry - you all know I'm a book lover through and through anyway!

Do you have a certain place at home for reading?

It's just wherever I'm comfiest really so I tend to switch between the sofa and my bed. Occasionally you might find me laying on the floor with a book but I'm not normally there for long as it's not the most relaxing position for reading.

Bookmark or random piece of paper?

If I've just bought a book from a shop and I'm planning to start it straight away then I'll use the receipt and the rest of the time I'll pick a bookmark to use. There's no way I'm bending the page over anyway that's for sure!

Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop at a chapter?

I prefer to not just stop reading altogether especially if I'm really into the book but if there's a real emergency like I need a wee or my tea is going cold then I'll pause everything. Most of the time I go "Oh I'll just finish this chapter" and before I know it I'm still reading the book at 2am wondering how I'm going to get up in the morning! Answer: with great difficulty.

Do you eat or drink whilst reading?

I'll have a cup of tea with me as it's my go-to drink for everything. Food not so much. It's not worth the risk of getting food stains in my book because that's a disaster that's horrible to even think about!

E-reader or real book?

Definitely a real book. I still read from my Kindle a lot, especially if I've been sent an eBook to review or when I want to read a book in bed with the lights off. There's just something about holding a physical copy of a book that you can't get from a Kindle whether it's the unique cover, the way you can flick through the pages with your fingers or the smell of books in general. No? Just me then?

Music or TV while reading?

Neither? I'm probably seen as one of those weird bookworms who prefers peace and quiet while reading. If the telly is on I'll get distracted and won't properly get into the book or if there's music playing I'll end up singing and dancing instead of reading. You know, as you do.

One book at a time or several at once?

If I'm really into a book then I won't start another one till I've finished it and made sure all my notes are written down for a review. I have been known before to read a physical book at home then while I'm out and about read a different book on my Kindle but it's not something I do regularly. I'm pretty much a one book kinda woman!

Reading at home or everywhere?

I mostly read at home but if I know I'm going to be on a bus or train for long then I'll make sure I bring a book to read. Oh who am I kidding I always read on public transport, even if it's only for a short time!

Reading aloud or silently in your head?

Textbook i.e. revision = read aloud. Anything else = read in my read. Simples!

Fiction or non-fiction?

I love fictional books! There are no limits to what the story or characters can be like because it doesn't need to be real for the reader to believe in it. If that makes sense? For a long time I would never read non-fiction books, I never found the topics very interesting or exciting but over the past year I've started reading more of them and I really enjoy them, I'm just a lot fussier with what I pick compared to fictional ones.

Do you read ahead or skip pages?

NEVER! What's the point in that? You either ruin the story for yourself by reading too far into the book before you've even started or miss important info that helps it all make sense.. Sorry it's a no-go for me!

Break the spine or keep a book like new?

It's not something I think too much about to be honest. I do try my best to make sure I don't break the spine but the way I see it, books are there to be read not to look brand spanking and unread. As long as it doesn't look like I've tried to rip the book in half I'm happy!

Do you write in your books?

Eurgh I refuse to write in my books - it's just not right! If I want to pin down my thoughts during the book for me to look back at for a review then I'll use post-it notes but even this is totally new to me and I don't know if it will be a permanent thing. Did anyone else cringe at school when they had to write in their Anthology book for English Literature?

Your favourite book?

If you've been reading my blog for a while then you'll probably have a rough idea of some of my favourite books and you'll know that picking one is impossible. The best I can do for now is give you my top 10 books from last year, have we got a deal?

Oh I do love a good book tag I've missed doing them on here! If you have any bookish rituals you want to share then feel free to comment below. I'm not going to tag anyone to do the tag this time but let me know if you decide to do it yourself as I would love to read your answers.

Ali Caitrin

9 comments

  1. I absolutely loved this post - definitely want to give this tag a go! It was so fun reading your answers :) xxx

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm glad you enjoyed it! Let me know when you do the post too, I'd love to read your answers to the bookish questions :)

      Delete
  2. I think this is my favourite post ever oh my word! I think I'd have to answer two lots though - one for my normal reading and one for the books I read during my English Literature degree. I HAD to write in the books and it basically crushed my soul!

    Steph - www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW thanks I wasn't expecting that!! I'm so happy you liked the post <3 and I used to hate writing in my books for my GCSEs it was horrible, I'm glad I never have to do that again haha :)

      Delete
  3. Aw I love this post!! I still don't have an e-reader and I had to review an e-book after reading it on my iPhone! (Aughhh my poor little already nearly blind eyes!) But agree with nearly all of your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun post! I agree with you on so many points, especially writing in books and breaking the spine. My biggest fear of ordering used books online is that they'll have writing in them -- I couldn't care less if the spine has been a little worn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the food stains in a book, terrible!

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post. I never stop reading until the page/chapter is on an even number haha!

    www.57-days.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post and this tag! We have very similar reading habits! :)

    ReplyDelete

© Ali Caitrin

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig