Finding My Authentic Blog Voice & Why It's Changed

There's no doubt that blogging is a competitive industry - we are constantly watching it evolve along with the community expanding every day. Yet amongst the 100s of topics that get written about there's one thing that make each of us unique: our voice.

For me personally, I want my posts to show more than just words and pictures on a screen. I don't need my writing to be the best, I just want anyone who reads my blog to see my personality shine through from the very start and for me to be happy with what I've published.

Trust me when I say it wasn't easy to get here.

My reason for starting this blog isn't the same as it is today. I was a completely different person three years ago; a recent university dropout who had no experience writing or any sense of what direction she wanted her blog to go in, to be specific. Back then I was looking for a place to belong and to be part of something again. Who knew making such a huge lifestyle change would do that?

I have always found blogging to be quite challenging partly because writing is me being out of my comfort zone. It’s not a skill that came naturally to me, I had to work at it so despite feeling conscious about being far from a great writer I keep clicking the publish button with a smile. Plus I do love a challenge!

As you could probably imagine finding my voice also involved me making mistakes. When I first started I thought I wanted to talk about technology due to that being my career path yet I realised after a while that's not what gives me the passion to write. Overcoming that amongst other obstacles was the best thing that could have happened to my blog. I have finally found my writing path and to me that's all that matters.

Maybe opening up about my experience with being autistic and chatting about books wasn't the direction I was expecting to take in. Maybe just being myself was all I needed to do to find my voice.

Bring on the next three years of blogging!

10 comments

  1. I love that blogging is something that can evolve as we do. I started my blog because I wanted to share all the little adventures I went on around my city, and whilst I still do that, I post about baking sweets more than anything now - which is something I'd never really tried before blogging!

    It's amazing what having a blog, and getting used to putting yourself out there for the world to see, can do to you and your personality. I really applaud you for taking on blogging even though writing doesn't come naturally to you! That would make everything a lot more difficult, but you seem to be doing such a great job.

    I also never thought I'd be so open about my mental health issues until I started blogging, but the posts I've written about that topic - and other 'heavy' topics such as family issues - have always been my most popular, because everyone's got their own struggles, and it's nice to know you're not alone. Keep up the good work ☺️

    http://www.thesmalladventurer.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool to hear that you tried new things after starting your blog - that's so cool! Having a blog has had such a great impact on my life and I'm glad it has for you too :)

      Delete
  2. It's great to hear from someone else who has been in the blogging game for a long time. I think this is a really interesting, thought-provoking post. It's made me think about my own blog (two years in August), and my voice has definitely changed over the years! I went from talking about budgeting to more of a lifestyle/autism blog. I didn't even have my diagnosis when I first started blogging! It's crazy how much our voices and personalities change over time, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy! You think at the time that your blog will stay the same but you realise that change is good, especially when you're evolving with it! I can't wait to see what my blog is like in the next few years :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely post! I know exactly what you mean, my voice when I first started blogging has changed totally to how it is today. It's all about finding the voice you feel most comfortable with, most proud of! And I think it might be a constantly evolving type of thing too. x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I am really proud of the voice I have now, not because I think it's best than the one I had before but because I'm a lot happy with myself and I think I'm a lot more confident which helps.

      Delete
  4. Finding a voice in the blogging world is hard, I think I'm yet to find mine! Only this year I've taken my blog seriously, and really began to write about topics that I actually enjoy, as opposed to writing what I think people want to read! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely a learning curve when it comes to blogging. I used to worry about what I would write on here but now I do it more for myself than for anyone else and I feel so much better for it :)

      Delete
  5. finding your own voice when it comes to blogging is hard since there is no real guidance, I'm glad you've found your voice and keep at it girl. love your blog btw :)x

    A Girl's Journal
    https://girlsjournal95.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you so much :) and it's so true, you don't get taught how to blog and everyone's journey is different.

      Delete

© Ali Caitrin

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig