Paperweight | Book Review

paperweight meg haston

Title: Paperweight*


Author: Meg Haston


Genres: Mental Health, Young Adult


Published: July 2015


What's the book about?

Stevie is a 17 year old girl who is now staying at a treatment center in New Mexico as a result of her anorexia. Her dad was the one who signed her up for the 60 day treatment but Stevie isn't planning on staying for long. She doesn't want to be there. She doesn't understand why she belongs there surrounded by these nurses, therapists and the food she's being trying to avoid. All that's on her mind is that the anniversary of her brother's death is coming up in 27 days. She plans to be with her brother by then but will the treatment have a positive effect on her? Or will it just push her even more?


MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS


Review:

The story goes back and forth from when Stevie was at home with her dad and brother to now while she's in the treatment center so bit by bit she starts opening up but not completely of course as there were still a few unanswered questions but the reader knows enough to want to carry on. She was so caught up in dealing with the death of her brother and her complicated friendship with Eden that her eating disorder kind of takes a step back in her priorities, but it's still on her mind. It was quite hard to like Stevie at times because she seemed to be the only one not wanting to try to get better and she was very narrowed minded compared to the other girls at the treatment center. Speaking of the girls, Ashley is Stevie's roomate who is almost the complete opposite to her in every way! She's quite optimistic considering her circumstances and she's always friendly to Stevie even when she's doesn't want her to be. Ashley is very likeable and because of this you really do feel for her at the end. Rain is another girl at the treatment center and if I'm completely honest I didn't understand what the purpose of her was? Don't get me wrong I didn't dislike Rain however I don't feel like she had any impact on the story and in my opinion it would have gone in the exact same direction without her. I think my favourite character out of them all would have to be Stevie's therapist Anna; she was more like a friend and she never came across as patronising like I thought she would. Anna had her own problems that she admitted to Stevie and seemed to go the extra mile for her because she saw the good things in her that Stevie couldn't. I did find it a shame that we never really got to know certain characters very well like Stevie's mum and Eden however they were mentioned often so it does give the reader some insight without being lost. It really does pull at those heart strings too as there are some dark moments that were quite sad but I really respect Meg for outlining them. I would have been disappointed if it was all sunshine and rainbows because suffering from a mental illness isn't like that so I'm happy with the way she went about it. The ending it wasn't a typical happily ever after which was a relief but it leaves the reader feeling hopeful at the same time without any empty promises. Paperweight is beautifully written and takes the reader on a emotional rollercoaster!


Final Thoughts?

Paperweight is a fantastic book that talks about family issues, relationships and mental health. I hadn't read a book by Meg Haston before Paperweight but I'm glad I have now and I definitely will again! so kudos to you Meg! It does cover some sensitive subjects like eating disorders, depression and suicidal thoughts so for anyone interested in this book please be aware. Overall, I would highly recommend this book as I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!


Rate this book out of five.

4/5


**Thank you Hot Key Books for sending me this ARC in exchange for a review. All opinions are 100% my own and I was not paid for this review.**


Do you have Goodreads? If so you can check out all my books here!


Ali Caitrin

5 comments

  1. A good review which left me wanting to read this book. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was my first review so I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You should definitely get a copy if you're interested in reading it, you won't want to put the book down till you've finished haha!

      Delete
  3. Great review, I've heard of this book and I'd definitely like to read it at some point!

    ReplyDelete

© Ali Caitrin

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig