My Love Hate Relationship with my Kindle

Helloo Everyone,

I'm going to be completely honest with you now, I never had any intention on having a Kindle at first. People would say to me "Oh you should definitely get a Kindle you'd love it!" and there'd be me like no thanks they'd never be as good as physical books.. reading e-books just didn't appeal to me! Well as you can see I do in fact have a Kindle but it was a long journey from not even considering having one to not wanting to go out with it so let me fill you in on the pros and cons!



I only knew a couple of people who had a Kindle at the time so to be honest I didn't really know that much about them. The first thing I did notice was how portable they are! Sometimes it can be a pain to try and bring a book out to read so the kindle does help with it being so easy to carry around. I also liked the built-in lights so you can read in the dark without needing the light on but also out in the sun without the annoying glare which has become really useful as I do tend to read at night! I started to see why people liked them but I couldn't imagine myself reading a book that I couldn't pick up from my bookcase or physically turn the pages, it just seemed surreal! Maybe it's just me but there is a difference, sometimes it's the little things you know?


It's been about 6 months since I got my Kindle Paperwhite (it was a present from my boyfriend) so I thought I would give it a go! I then realised the low prices of e-books (some even being free!) compared to buying paperbacks which I was thankful for as being a student it's always good to save money wherever you can. I did struggle navigating around it at the beginning and little things like turning pages annoyed me but that was probably just being impatient haha! So as time went by I start using my Kindle more and more as I did a fair amount of travelling to and from university and my job; I always have time to read and the Kindle is more practical for me!


The thing for me is that I like having the hard of copy books! You don't have to worry that it's going to run out of battery and it's nice to be able to give read books to away when you're finished with them if you want to, which you can't do with a Kindle. It's also the feeling of holding a book to read and getting a break away from technology however Kindle's do make reading easier like when you're out or at night so I guess I'll always that love and hate feeling with it lol!


Well that's my view on Kindles vs. Paperbacks! What's your opinion, are you more of a Kindle or paperback person? Are there certain books you'd read on your Kindle and others you wouldn't, or if you don't have a Kindle why not? I'd love to hear what you guys think but for now thanks for visiting my blog and I'll see you next time :)


Ali Caitrin

10 comments

  1. I love my Kindle. I, too, went from reluctant to getting one to not being able to go outside without it. I do enjoy physical books but favor my Kindle whenever I'm travelling. It's way lighter and I don't have to worry about getting little tears and creases on my books from being kept in a bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm grateful my boyfriend got me one because I'm not sure I would have gone out of my way to buy one lol!
      Even now I'm in bed reading on my kindle and it is easier, but tomorrow I'm reading my next book (The Girl on the Train) which is a paperback so I tend to switch from one to the other hehe!

      Delete
  2. I prefer e-reader all the way. I am not a book collector, so not having the hard copy isn't an issue for me. I think a real bookworm rarely sticks to one format and non of them are cool enough to eliminate the other. In my case, e-reader suits my lifestyle because I tend to read heavy books (George R. R Martin or something like that).

    I wonder why you should worry about running out of battery since (in my case) you only have to charge it every two weeks? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my friends who like to read like me are the same, they seem to read more on their Kindle's then buying the hard copy. I like both it's just it took me a while to get used to using one but now I read my kindle a lot more especially when I'm out like on public transport going somewhere. I used to very much stick to paperbacks before I got my kindle but now switch from one to the other depending on what book I'm reading!
      It's not that my kindle runs out of battery a lot because as you said the battery life is pretty good, it's only because I forget most of the time that it needs charging so I'll be out and I notice my battery is low, I was just comparing it to reading a hard copy where battery isn't something to think about lol :)

      Delete
  3. I used to be the same as you, I never thought I would own a Kindle. I hated the idea of them. I love nothing more than the physical feel of a book, of turning the pages and being able to have a shelf filled with beautiful stories. Then, at Christmas I got a Kindle and I have to say, after a while of it sitting in the corner of my bedroom while I looked at it suspiciously, I gave it a go and I love it! It's so great for popping in my bag for the train journey, taking up so much less space than a book does. It saves so much space as well in my little house where I was already struggling for space to put all my books. The only downside is the battery issue! The other day I had just made a lovely hot bath, sat down with a cup of tea and picked up my Kindle to start a new book and the bloody thing had run out of battery! haha. I'm definitely happy that I got a Kindle but I don't think anything will ever beat an actual physical book :)
    Nicole xx / Life in Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank god, at least I know I wasn't the only one haha! I'm the same I tend to use my Kindle when on public transport going somewhere, it's a lot more practical than bringing a bulky book!
      I totally agree, there is something about reading from a physical book but the Kindle is still pretty good and useful :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE my Kindle! I never (ever) wanted to buy one because I really like books (and their smell!), but then my husband bought me one for Christmas, knowing how much I read. I still like to buy book in a book store every now and then, especially when they have a beautiful cover, but I could not live without my Kindle anymore, it's just so convenient and I have all my books with me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Nothing can replace a physical book for me, but a Kindle does come pretty close to it haha! I really like using my Kindle if I'm out and about or at night so I can read in the dark so I can definitely understand why you find it convenient! :)

      Delete
  5. First time reading this, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog thaanks for posting

    ReplyDelete

© Ali Caitrin

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig