If I were Prime Minister for a Day


On Thursday 7th May, I will be putting forward my vote in the General Election for the first time! I know you can vote once you're 18 in England (FYI I'm 20) but I never have till now, for some reason I just didn't feel the need to but as you can see I've since changed my mind; my vote does matter! I've come to realise that it's so important to be able to have your say so to not even take it is just silly in my opinion. It took me a while to decide who I was going to vote for because I don't feel like I was ever really told about it till they said when I was 16 "Oh you can vote now!" and there was me like huh?! So I had to do some research to decide for myself who I want to vote for, which is fine of course but it would have been nice to have a heads up if that makes sense? Anyway, once I told my family I'm voting this year one of them asked me what I'd do if I was Prime Minister so I've answered it here!


Help restore the NHS

This would be at the top of my priorities! We should be so proud and grateful for the NHS because other countries don't have that. The NHS seem to be in real danger so buy investing more money we will be able to ensure that they can give us the best treatment needed! We need to help the NHS as well by making sure people can get a GP appointment easily, I remember I had to wait 2 weeks to see my doctor which is way too long! By doing this people will no longer go to A&E for minor issues, there is a reason why it's called Accident and Emergency!


Stop tax on sanitary products

Now can I get an amen ladies? Periods are something that happens to all of us and it cannot be stopped even if we wanted to; it's part of being a woman! So to tax us on it is just taking advantage.. There are many things that women could live without, this is one of the few things we can't!


Lower the university tuition fees

We shouldn't put a price on education and I know quite a few people that were put off by going to university because of the fees so I think by lowering it substantially it will encourage more people to go to university. We should at least give them a better chance if they want to go!


Make sure people can afford to live (and know how to)

I would increase the minimum wage for a start. Why you might ask? Because it's scary to believe that people could actually survive on the minimum wage right now! When I say survive, I mean be able to afford to rent a place, buy food and essentials, get transport if needed etc. I'm sure people can actually live off minimum wage, still it must involve a lot of cutting back on a lot.. Also I think it would be good to make it mandatory to teach everyone from a young age how to budget; it is something that comes with age and experience but I bet people do struggle so doing this will mean others will have a better understanding of money!


Guarantee young people get educated about politics

I don't remember ever being taught about even the basics of politics or about voting so no wonder there isn't many young people voting! I asked a lot of my friends if they were voting and the majority of them said no. It's such that my generation aren't interesting in voting when it's such an important thing to do and affects EVERYONE! By allowing us to teach the younger generation about this will have a high chance of them allowing themselves to have a say, don't you think?


Allow 16-23 year olds to be FULLY funded for apprenticeships

Sorry guys this is kind of a selfish one because I've been looking for an apprenticeship to get my foot in the ladder in the IT industry but sadly as I'm over the age of 18 it's very rare to find a company that will part fund your apprenticeship when 16-18 year olds get fully funded by the government! If you give 16-23 years an opportunity to do an apprenticeship, shouldn't you fund them all instead of only some?


More public transport (not just in London)

I've been living with a relative in London for the past couple of months now while I look for a permanent job and the public transport around London is 100x times better than where I used to stay in Surrey and even other places across the UK that I have visited. Only having 1 bus an hour or two just to get from A to B and back isn't enough!


Start to try and tackle climate change

Every household should be able to afford to keep their house light up and heated but there are some that can't! By making sure every house is insulated, this will cut down the prices on energy bills so everyone will not need to struggle to keep warm or even have a light on in a room or two. Also making a plan to use renewable energy will help the environment, it sounds like a good idea to me!


I know what some of you are probably thinking.. It's not that simply or easier to do all of these things? That my friend, is very true. But remember, I only had a day to make changes hehe! Plus this is just what I' would like to do, I know there's a lot more to it than that but I'm just using my imagination! What would you do if you were Prime Minister for a day and what would be your top priorites? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to see if you guys agree with what I've said! That's it from me, I hope you enjoyed my 'not so like me' post and I'll see you next time :)


Ali Caitrin

9 comments

  1. Such a great post! I agree with all of these points so much! Just to let you know, you can only register to vote at 16, you can't actually vote until 18, which is really annoying because I would like to vote but I'm 18 in 6 months.
    I think what I agree with most is being taught about politics, I don't understand how they expect the public to vote if we haven't even got a basic understanding, even some older adults don't know much about politics!
    I think more public transport and tacking climate change would work together, it would hopefully reduce the amount of pollution we are creating and I think it may also help us all become a little more social in the 'real' world!
    I could take for ever about all the points you made here but to summaries, I agree!!
    Emily
    http://paperchainblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thanks, so glad you liked it :D I hadn't done a 'politics' kinda post before so was kind of nervous hehe!
      Oh god that's not a good start is it haha thank you for pointing it out, I've now changed it to give the right info but I agree it seems silly to register to vote but you can't vote till 2 years later?! I will have to look into that to see why that is?
      But I'm glad that you agree with me overall ;)

      Delete
  2. Such a great post Ali, I want to write one now too! Let's just go for prime minister in 5 years ;) here's your amen too! :D

    Em xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Em <3
      I just saw your #WHATMATTERSTOME post and loved it!!

      Delete
  3. YES YES YES YES we should be taught about politics at school! I have never understood why they don't do this, it's fundamental! But oh no, I know all about bloody medicine through time instead. Totally agree with that point!

    Lacoconoire.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right I think it's really important, to be honest I'm surprised they don't do it already? Glad you agree :)

      Delete
  4. Such a good topical post! I wish all this was possible without ruining the economy because then the country would be in a much better position ^.^

    goodmorningbelle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm happy that I done a post like this :) Yeah I really wish it was that simple but I'm sure if we done all of this something else would go wrong instead lol!

      Delete
  5. I really like your content and your blog. Thanks for following me on Bloglovin’. Have you considered getting a blog consultation? I offer one, and I’d love to give you some amazing advise to help your blog grow. Check out what I can do for you over at http://danyellbailey.blogspot.com/2015/04/introducing-danyells-blog-consultation.html

    ReplyDelete

© Ali Caitrin

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig